Welcome to the Hewitson Library
The Library dates from 1876 following the appointment of William Salmond as first professor of the newly established Theological Hall. In 1909 the theological collection moved into the newly opened Theological Hall at Knox College.
The present building in which the Library is housed was erected to mark the 1948 centenary of the Presbyterian Church in Otago and Southland, and was opened and dedicated by the Right Rev. Principal J A Allan on 12 Nov 1955. Due to an expanding collection it was agreed in 1976 to extend the Library, as the centennial project for the Theological Hall. The new extension was dedicated and opened on 30 May 1984 by the Right Rev. Tama Takao.
Today the Library supports the Knox Centre for Ministry and Leadership and the Otago University’s Department of Theology & Religious Studies teaching programmes, as well as the resident and non-resident members of Knox College; Ministers and laity; members of the wider Church and the public.
Welcome again and we look forward to working with you.